On 19th century, a railway station was built here to connect France (as its name still suggests) with the North East Catalonia, the Costa Brava and the center of Barcelona.
It is located on the Born Quarter, near the Ciudadela Park. To allow the access and exit of trains were necessary to re-built one of the Roman Wall entrance.
The building was re-built and re-opened for the International Exhibition in 1929. Although the original idea was to be able to show it during the International
Exhibition of 1888 that also were celebrated in Barcelona... but, its construction didn’t arrived on time. Years later, the First World War delayed the execution of this precious work even more.
In total, the station’s structure is 29m tall and 195m long. Its design is a mix of classical and more modern styles, with decoration in marble, bronze and crystal, and modernista and art déco details.