The Frederic Marès Museum was established in 1946 thanks to the vast collection of the sculptor Frederic Marés. In his collection were medieval and Baroque sculptures, reliquaries clocks, photographs, games, books and countless art works. It was this that this artist decided to donate his collection to the city and to install it in this building with such long history.
This particular building was a part of the Palau Reial
Major (in English: Greater Hall) of the counts of Barcelona in medieval times and it’s located next to the Cathedral at the Gothic Quarter.
This building retains most of its original structure (although restored, of course) and keeps the lovely courtyard where you enter the museum.
This courtyard is commonly known as the Pati dels Tarongers, the “courtyard of the oranges”. It is a beautiful little courtyard, wrapped in porches, with a central fountain where we can see during the traditional festival of Corpus the dancing bal “L’Ou que balla” (like in the Ardiaca House). Here we can see part of the Roman wall while enjoying a coffee.
It’s always quiet and relaxing, a small oasis of tranquility.