During the XVI century, after the Trent’s Council, many convents and monasteries were built in Barcelona. One of them, the Order of the Discalced Augustinians, rented in 1618 a house located at the end of "Las Ramblas" almost touching the port, to live there.
Fortunately the convent of Santa Ṃnica did not run the same fate as many others monasteries and churches of the city. It was saved from the fury of
the protesters without being burned in the rebellion of 1835. The lack of maintenance caused the government of Catalunya to buy it and rehabilitate it. Due
to the poor construction of the old monastery, there is very little left of the ancient construction, just a part of the residence of the monks and the cloister.
Today it is used by the Santa Ṃnica Art Centre and shows us the historic Catalan avant-garde art exhibitions, mixed with the current art trends.